10. Integrative Cardiology with Dr. Bret Scher
In today’s episode, board certified cardiologist and lipidologist, Dr. Bret Scher talks about integrative cardiology and how you can naturally prevent heart disease. Dr. Scher spent decades following the conventional medical protocols for treating heart disease until he realized that it wasn’t working as well as it should. After diving into the research on natural and integrative approaches, he now helps reframe the message of health and prevention. Heart disease is the number one killer in the US. More than 30 million people have been diagnosed with heart disease and every 37 seconds in the United States it kills someone. Learn what you can do so you don’t end up like one of the nearly 650,000 Americans each year killed by cardiovascular disease.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:38] How Dr. Scher transitioned into integrative cardiology
- [07:30] How Dr. Scher helps his clients prevent heart disease through a more innovative approach
- [11:56] The top 3 things you can control in your life that will have the biggest impact on your health
- [17:20] Dr. Scher’s take on different diets
- [22:50] How effective are statins in preventing a heart attack
- [26:50] What is a calcium score and how can you get one
- [31:50] Can anything reduce a high calcium score
- [36:09] Dr. Scher’s parting words
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blog mentioned – The Cholesterol Mistake Everyone is Making
- Guest podcast – Diet Doctor Podcast
- Guest website – Low Carb Cardiologist
- Guest social media – Dr. Bret Scher’s Twitter
- Guest book – Your Best Health Ever!
Visit our social media for more information
Tell me what your diet’s like and I can tell you where your health is headed. One of the largest determinants of health is what you put in your mouth day after day, year after year. It’s more predictive than genetics, and it’s something you can control. Today I will talk to you about the Western Diet, it’s catastrophic health impacts, how it compares to the ancestral, Paleolithic diet, and what you can do to change your future by changing your diet.
While people across the country are lining up for the vaccines, many folks still have questions about how the vaccines work, whether they’re safe and if they’ll be effective against emerging COVID variants. Here to talk to us about all of Daniela Weiskopf, PhD, a brilliant researcher at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology. Dr. Weiskopf has devoted her career to understanding the immune system’s response to viral pathogens and spent the last thirteen years studying infectious viruses relevant to human health and disease. Most recently she’s focused her efforts on COVID-19 to help understand how we can defeat this deadly disease.
Joint pain causes too many people to miss out on some of the greatest moments of their lives. While friends and family are enjoying themselves riding bikes, playing tennis, hiking, gardening, dancing, or playing with their kids and grandkids, they’re sitting on the sidelines, unable to fully participate. And if they do, they’re often experiencing pain and discomfort or paying for it later as their joint pain flares up. Learn the surprising connection between arthritis and heart disease and what you can do about it.