13. Death by Prescription
Pharmacies filled more than 4 billion prescriptions a year for the 55% of Americans who now take at least one drug and the nearly 12% who take five or more. But all those pills are leaving a lot of devastation in their wake. More than two million side effects are reported and death by prescription is now the fourth leading cause of dying. Dr. Neustadt talks about this situation and what you can do to protect yourself from becoming one of these grim statistics.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:10] Why I decided to leave my medical doctor and seek out a naturopathic physician
- [03:37] In 2015 pharmacies filled 4 billion prescriptions in America
- [03:58] 55% of Americans take at least one drug
- [05:40] People dying from prescription medication is the 4th leading cause of death in America
- [09:12] My Guidelines for prescribing (and agreeing to take) medications
- [15:28] Don’t hesitate to ask your doctor how long a medication had been on the market
- [17:15] What really motivates pharmaceutical companies to create replacement drugs
- [18:10] Ask your doctor about changing your lifestyle or diet instead of taking prescription medication
- [19:00] Medications don’t work with your body’s biochemistry, they take over a biochemical process
- [24:45] Why you should ask your doctor about their plan to get you off your medication
- [25:25] What are drug nutrients depletions and why you need to know about them
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blog mentioned – Death by Prescription and What You Can Do About It
Visit our social media for more information
Tell me what your diet’s like and I can tell you where your health is headed. One of the largest determinants of health is what you put in your mouth day after day, year after year. It’s more predictive than genetics, and it’s something you can control. Today I will talk to you about the Western Diet, it’s catastrophic health impacts, how it compares to the ancestral, Paleolithic diet, and what you can do to change your future by changing your diet.
While people across the country are lining up for the vaccines, many folks still have questions about how the vaccines work, whether they’re safe and if they’ll be effective against emerging COVID variants. Here to talk to us about all of Daniela Weiskopf, PhD, a brilliant researcher at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology. Dr. Weiskopf has devoted her career to understanding the immune system’s response to viral pathogens and spent the last thirteen years studying infectious viruses relevant to human health and disease. Most recently she’s focused her efforts on COVID-19 to help understand how we can defeat this deadly disease.
Joint pain causes too many people to miss out on some of the greatest moments of their lives. While friends and family are enjoying themselves riding bikes, playing tennis, hiking, gardening, dancing, or playing with their kids and grandkids, they’re sitting on the sidelines, unable to fully participate. And if they do, they’re often experiencing pain and discomfort or paying for it later as their joint pain flares up. Learn the surprising connection between arthritis and heart disease and what you can do about it.