13. Death by Prescription
Pharmacies filled more than 4 billion prescriptions a year for the 55% of Americans who now take at least one drug and the nearly 12% who take five or more. But all those pills are leaving a lot of devastation in their wake. More than two million side effects are reported and death by prescription is now the fourth leading cause of dying. Dr. Neustadt talks about this situation and what you can do to protect yourself from becoming one of these grim statistics.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:10] Why I decided to leave my medical doctor and seek out a naturopathic physician
- [03:37] In 2015 pharmacies filled 4 billion prescriptions in America
- [03:58] 55% of Americans take at least one drug
- [05:40] People dying from prescription medication is the 4th leading cause of death in America
- [09:12] My Guidelines for prescribing (and agreeing to take) medications
- [15:28] Don’t hesitate to ask your doctor how long a medication had been on the market
- [17:15] What really motivates pharmaceutical companies to create replacement drugs
- [18:10] Ask your doctor about changing your lifestyle or diet instead of taking prescription medication
- [19:00] Medications don’t work with your body’s biochemistry, they take over a biochemical process
- [24:45] Why you should ask your doctor about their plan to get you off your medication
- [25:25] What are drug nutrients depletions and why you need to know about them
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blog mentioned – Death by Prescription and What You Can Do About It
Visit our social media for more information
Chemicals in the environment disrupt the normal activity of the thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. They also deplete vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and neurotransmitters, causing health problems. Without even knowing it, you’re being exposed every day. Dr. Marianne Marchese talks about these chemicals, how they increase the risk for endometriosis, cancer, infertility and other health problems.
What your doctor doesn’t tell you about this disease is likely the most important thing you need to know. The discussions around osteoporosis with healthcare professionals is too often limited to bone mineral density and medications. But more than half of people who start osteoporosis medications discontinue them and a bone density test predicts less than half of people who will break a bone. Today I share with you how I talk to patients. You’ll come away knowing how to expand the conversation with your healthcare provider and what you can do to be in the driver’s seat when it comes to your own health.
If you’re overweight, have high blood pressure or poor blood sugar control you might have metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is the gateway to deadly chronic diseases. Dr. Larson is here to tell you that your fate isn’t sealed and that there’s lots you can do to turn things around. Dr. Larsen holds two medical degrees as both a chiropractor and naturopathic doctor. Today he’ll empower and inspire you to take your health to the next level.