22. Happy Brain Chemicals with Dr. Loretta Breuning
Dr. Loretta Breuning is Founder of the Inner Mammal Institute and author of Habits of a Happy Brain: Retrain your brain to boost your serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin and endorphin levels. As a Professor of Management at California State University, and as a parent, she lost faith in prevailing views of human motivation. Her search for answers led to studies of the brain chemistry we share with earlier mammals. Suddenly, everything made sense, and she began creating resources to help people manage their inner mammal.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:04] What are happy brain chemicals
- [03:41] How is each brain chemical different and how do they make you feel
- [05:51] How different experiences stimulate your brain chemicals
- [08:30] Social trust releases more oxytocin
- [10:15] How Serotonin makes your body feel
- [11:30] Benefits from recognizing how brain chemicals make you feel
- [13:15] How endorphins affect emotions
- [14:45] Brain chemicals help create habits
- [16:45] Using brain chemicals to change bad habits
- [20:15] Tips to help with depression
- [24:00] Dr. Breuning’s thoughts on learned helplessness
- [26:45] The benefits of finding new activities to be passionate about
- [29:30] Dr. Breuning’s parting words about social comparison
Resources talked about in this episode
- Guest book – Happy Brain: Retrain your brain to boost your serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin and endorphin levels
- Guest website – Inner Mammal Institute
- Guest social media – Dr. Breuning’s Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn
Visit our social media for more information
Since finances are one of life’s major stressors and a common reason for arguments in a marriage, then who better to talk to about juggling finances in the real world than two working moms and entrepreneurs. Amanda Kessler and Lara Ford are on a mission to help other women achieve financial success and independence. As they describe it, they made it to their 40s with their heads planted firmly in the sand and didn’t have a clue regarding finances, until a few key conversations with friends changed the trajectories of their financial lives. And hopefully, today’s episode will help change the trajectory of yours as well.
A Tufts University Study has clarified that 66% of all COVID-19 hospitalizations are due to just four underlying medical conditions. And all of them are the result of long-term poor diet and lifestyle choices. Today I talk about those four conditions, the four things you can do to stop and start reversing them to reduce your risk.
This past year people’s stress has been off the charts, with devastating consequences: insomnia, decreased immunity, infertility, irritability, emotional eating, weight gain, and depression. Dr. Doni Wilson is a naturopathic doctor, certified professional midwife, and certified nutrition specialist believes it is possible to be healthy, even when we’re stressed. In the process of solving her own problem of suffering from migraines for 25 years, Dr. Doni developed her Stress Recovery Protocol™ which identifies how stress uniquely affects each individual and then uses epigenetics to reoptimize health. Her unique approach helps patients reverse challenging health conditions including fatigue, anxiety, autoimmunity, fertility and recurrent miscarriages, insomnia, as well as HPV infections, and abnormal pap smears.