30. Colorectal Cancer with Dr. Ugo
The shocking and untimely death of actor Chadwick Boseman from colon cancer at 43 years old has shone a spotlight on the importance of screening and treatment. To dispel the myths about colon cancer and help people understand what they can do to protect themselves, I’m joined by Dr. Ugo Iroku. Dr. Ugo is a Harvard Medical School and Johns Hopkins School of Public Health trained physician. He is a board-certified gastroenterologist at New York Gastroenterology Associates serving also as a voluntary faculty at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:36] What is colorectal cancer
- [03:30] Does everyone get polyps
- [04:30] Are people who are healthy and with no family history of colon cancer still at risk
- [06:00] What diet patterns help reduce colon cancer
- [07:00] Does eating more fibers help reduce colon cancer risks
- [08:15] The underlying symptoms of colon cancer
- [10:00] Different screenings for colon cancer
- [16:03] Is early detection the way to cure colon cancer
- [19:15] What age should you get a colon cancer screening
- [21:30] How frequent should people get screened
- [23:45] Why African Americans are more likely to die from colon cancer
- [26:15] Statistics on Latinos dying from colon cancer
- [27:30] Is access to healthcare a factor to minorities dying from colon cancer
- [29:30] Is the lack of minority representation in clinical trials affecting data
- [33:15] Dr. Ugo’s parting words
Resources talked about in this episode
Visit our social media for more information
With a focus on improving health while treating the disease, Dr. Nalini Chilkov’s innovative approach to cancer is redefining how doctors treat breast cancer. She’s the Creator of the OutSmart Cancer System and Founder of Integrative Cancer Answers, an online resource for patients and families whose lives have been touched by cancer. She is the author of the best-selling book 32 Ways to OutSmart Cancer: How to Create A Body Where Cancer Cannot Thrive. Dr. Chilkov is an expert in Integrative Cancer Care and Immune Enhancement with more than 35 years of clinical experience.
In this episode, Dr. Neustadt talks about the most common hidden toxins lurking in your kitchen. Some you’re bringing in from the outside by what you’re buying, and others you’re creating by how you’re cooking. Learn what these are, how they’re endangering you and your family, and how to get them out of your kitchen and life for good.
Today’s special guest isn’t on the show because of nepotism, although it doesn’t hurt that she’s my wife and mom to our two kids. She’s here because she’s a powerhouse with a lot to share about how busy working moms can kick ass and still be healthy. She’s figured out how to juggle being a wife, a mom, a professional success, and a healthy human without losing her mind. And she’s on a mission to help other women do it too. Her two books have been huge successes and she’s been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, and Success, and has appeared on Fox Business News and morning shows around the country.