42. Diabetes with Dr. Mona Morstein
Diabetes is an epidemic. More than 10% of Americans have diabetes and one-third of adults have pre-diabetes. To demystify diabetes, today’s guest is Dr. Mona Morstein. Dr. Morstein has been a naturopathic physician for thirty years, was Chair of Nutrition, a professor of Gastroenterology and Clinical Supervisor at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, and is an expert in diabetes. In fact, she wrote the book on it, “Master Your Diabetes: A Comprehensive, Integrative Approach For Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.”
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:30] What is Type 1 diabetes
- [04:30] What is type 2 diabetes
- [07:25] Other types of diabetes
- [10:00] Why is diabetes increasing in the population
- [15:35] Dr. Morstein’s approach to treating diabetes compared to a conventional approach
- [19:40] Is testing for environmental factors and nutritional deficiency important
- [24:00] How some medications can deplete nutrients
- [30:33] Way to naturally improve insulin resistance
- [34:40] Does Alzheimer’s and dementia cause insulin resistance
- [40:00] Dr. Morstein’s parting words
Resources talked about in this episode
Visit our social media for more information
Chemicals in the environment disrupt the normal activity of the thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. They also deplete vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and neurotransmitters, causing health problems. Without even knowing it, you’re being exposed every day. Dr. Marianne Marchese talks about these chemicals, how they increase the risk for endometriosis, cancer, infertility and other health problems.
What your doctor doesn’t tell you about this disease is likely the most important thing you need to know. The discussions around osteoporosis with healthcare professionals is too often limited to bone mineral density and medications. But more than half of people who start osteoporosis medications discontinue them and a bone density test predicts less than half of people who will break a bone. Today I share with you how I talk to patients. You’ll come away knowing how to expand the conversation with your healthcare provider and what you can do to be in the driver’s seat when it comes to your own health.
If you’re overweight, have high blood pressure or poor blood sugar control you might have metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is the gateway to deadly chronic diseases. Dr. Larson is here to tell you that your fate isn’t sealed and that there’s lots you can do to turn things around. Dr. Larsen holds two medical degrees as both a chiropractor and naturopathic doctor. Today he’ll empower and inspire you to take your health to the next level.