31. Neural Network and Rewiring Your Brain
Habits are wired into your brain using neural networks. These nerve superhighways—parallel neurons lined up like lanes on a freeway—make your brain incredibly fast. The more you repeat an action, the more neurons your brain wire together and the larger your neural networks become. To create new habits, you must rewire your brain to fire differently. Dr. Neustadt shares the key ingredients you need to accomplish that.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [00:35] How your habits are wired into your brain using neural networking
- [01:51] Neural networks are the underlying infrastructure that creates your habits
- [02:45] “A habit is simply a mental association that kicks in when you’re in a specific situation”
- [03:35] If you have a habit of checking your phone in the morning, simply waking up triggers the urge to grab it
- [06:20] Brain chemicals determine how you feel
- [09:22] Neural networks make tasks so efficient they free the brain up for other things
- [12:14] How to know you’re creating a strong neural network
- [14:32] Neural Networks simply react to immediate ques in the environment and the emotions you’re experiencing
- [16:10] Why living in high stress for a long period of time makes serotonin less powerful
- [17:46] A trigger is anything that creates a change in how you feel
- [18:49] Three things you can do to rewire your brain
- [21:30] It takes time and repetition to rewire your brain and help you reach your goals
Visit our social media for more information
Tell me what your diet’s like and I can tell you where your health is headed. One of the largest determinants of health is what you put in your mouth day after day, year after year. It’s more predictive than genetics, and it’s something you can control. Today I will talk to you about the Western Diet, it’s catastrophic health impacts, how it compares to the ancestral, Paleolithic diet, and what you can do to change your future by changing your diet.
While people across the country are lining up for the vaccines, many folks still have questions about how the vaccines work, whether they’re safe and if they’ll be effective against emerging COVID variants. Here to talk to us about all of Daniela Weiskopf, PhD, a brilliant researcher at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology. Dr. Weiskopf has devoted her career to understanding the immune system’s response to viral pathogens and spent the last thirteen years studying infectious viruses relevant to human health and disease. Most recently she’s focused her efforts on COVID-19 to help understand how we can defeat this deadly disease.
Joint pain causes too many people to miss out on some of the greatest moments of their lives. While friends and family are enjoying themselves riding bikes, playing tennis, hiking, gardening, dancing, or playing with their kids and grandkids, they’re sitting on the sidelines, unable to fully participate. And if they do, they’re often experiencing pain and discomfort or paying for it later as their joint pain flares up. Learn the surprising connection between arthritis and heart disease and what you can do about it.