32. A Teenager Navigating the Pandemic with Nate Neustadt
The social isolation from the pandemic is hitting children hard. Separated from their friends, unable to go to school and staring for hours and hours every day at a screen is taking its toll. Nate Neustadt, a 15-year-old high school freshman and my son, talks about how he’s coping with all of this. Like everyone else, his world was completely turned upside down earlier this year by the global pandemic. He shares lessons he’s learned about resilience, coping in the face of uncertainty, and how other kids can make the best of this horrible public health crisis. Nate is an athlete, a public speaker, and author of the book, Bullied Not Broken: When the Bullies Don’t Win. Important note: Children are struggling. While we don’t talk about teen suicide risk in this episode, if you have any concerns about your child’s physical and emotional welfare, reach out to your physician for additional help and resources.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:58] How life has changed for teenagers and Nate in particular
- 03:21] The emotional toll the pandemic is having on kids
- [04:18] Tips on staying positive during such uncertain times
- [07:07] How people can adapt their fitness routine during quarantine
- [10:00] Nate’s advice to his peers on combating depression
- [11:17] How to break the negativity cycle
- [13:50] What resilience means to Nate
- [16:40] Nate’s advice to parents on helping their kids get through the pandemic
- [16:45] Check in with your kids
- [17:20] Be positive around your kids
- [21:20] Keep it light
- [22:02] Nate’s parting words to teenagers
Resources talked about in this episode
Visit our social media for more information
With a focus on improving health while treating the disease, Dr. Nalini Chilkov’s innovative approach to cancer is redefining how doctors treat breast cancer. She’s the Creator of the OutSmart Cancer System and Founder of Integrative Cancer Answers, an online resource for patients and families whose lives have been touched by cancer. She is the author of the best-selling book 32 Ways to OutSmart Cancer: How to Create A Body Where Cancer Cannot Thrive. Dr. Chilkov is an expert in Integrative Cancer Care and Immune Enhancement with more than 35 years of clinical experience.
In this episode, Dr. Neustadt talks about the most common hidden toxins lurking in your kitchen. Some you’re bringing in from the outside by what you’re buying, and others you’re creating by how you’re cooking. Learn what these are, how they’re endangering you and your family, and how to get them out of your kitchen and life for good.
Today’s special guest isn’t on the show because of nepotism, although it doesn’t hurt that she’s my wife and mom to our two kids. She’s here because she’s a powerhouse with a lot to share about how busy working moms can kick ass and still be healthy. She’s figured out how to juggle being a wife, a mom, a professional success, and a healthy human without losing her mind. And she’s on a mission to help other women do it too. Her two books have been huge successes and she’s been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, and Success, and has appeared on Fox Business News and morning shows around the country.