76. What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Osteoporosis
The most important thing you need to know about osteoporosis is what most doctors don’t talk about. The discussions around this disease too often focuses only on bone mineral density and medications. But more than half of people who start osteoporosis medications discontinue them and a bone density test predicts less than half of people who will break a bone. Learn how I talk to patients and how you can expand the conversation with your healthcare provider and put yourself in the driver’s seat when it comes to your health.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:10] The business model in medicine restricts the flow of information that people receive
- [03:50] If you have osteoporosis and you break a hip there’s a 20% chance you’ll be dead in a year
- [05:20] Bone mineral density predicts less than half of people who will actually break a bone
- [06:00] What factors help predict fractures
- [07:15] What is osteosarcopenia
- [07:55] A high protein diet help reduce fracture risks
- [09:40] Why combining a high protein diet and working out helps reduce fracture risks
- [10:50] Dr. Neustad’s recommendations to help reduce fracture risks
- [14:45] What is medically induced osteoporosis
- [19:58] The role serotonin plays in the bone
- [26:40] Why sleep is important for bone health
- [27:50] It’s important to ask your doctor about medications that increase fracture risks
- [29:10] If you are losing height or teeth it can be a sign of weak bones
- [31:25] Osteoporosis is a lifestyle disease
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blogs mentioned
- Products mentioned
Visit our social media for more information
About 1% of patients with COVID symptoms are still struggling months later. These are the “long haulers” who suffer from wide-ranging and mysterious symptoms.
Chemicals in the environment disrupt the normal activity of the thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. They also deplete vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and neurotransmitters, causing health problems. Without even knowing it, you’re being exposed every day. Dr. Marianne Marchese talks about these chemicals, how they increase the risk for endometriosis, cancer, infertility and other health problems.
If you’re overweight, have high blood pressure or poor blood sugar control you might have metabolic syndrome. This syndrome is the gateway to deadly chronic diseases. Dr. Larson is here to tell you that your fate isn’t sealed and that there’s lots you can do to turn things around. Dr. Larsen holds two medical degrees as both a chiropractor and naturopathic doctor. Today he’ll empower and inspire you to take your health to the next level.