25. Vitamin K and Fractures
Vitamin K was first discovered in 1929 by Henrik Dam, a Danish scientist, and research since then has revealed this nutrient’s crucial role in blood clotting, bone health, the production of the myelin sheath in nerves and healthy blood platelets. Poor diets, antibiotics and aging all decrease vitamin K, and many people are at risk for low levels of this vitamin. But there are different types of vitamin K, and they aren’t all equal. Learn about this important vitamin and which type of vitamin K is best for building stronger bones.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [00:45] Vitamin K is powerful nutrient involved in many biochemical pathways
- [01:53] How Vitamin K is created
- [02:45] How the body uses Vitamin K
- [03:30] Why you might be Vitamin K deficient
- [04:22] The best form of Vitamin K for bone health
- [08:00] Multiple clinical trials using MK4 show it can decrease bone fractures
- [08:20] MK4 had also shown to help patients with some cancers
- [09:45] MK4 increases bone density
- [11:00] MK4 exerts a powerful influence in bone-building
- [13:30] 3 Vitamin K-dependent proteins
- [17:00] Looking for clinical trials that report the ability to reduce fractures is crucial
- [19:15] Studies show 45 mg per day of Vitamin K can promote the growth of stronger bones
- [20:48] Is Vitamin K safe
- [20:45] People taking the medication warfarin should consult with their medical provider before taking Vitamin K
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blog mentioned – Vitamin K and Fractures
- Blog mentioned – Hope for Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Facts and Options
- Products mentioned – Osteo-K and Osteo-K Minis
- NBI Bone Support Page – Bone Support
Visit our social media for more information
Since finances are one of life’s major stressors and a common reason for arguments in a marriage, then who better to talk to about juggling finances in the real world than two working moms and entrepreneurs. Amanda Kessler and Lara Ford are on a mission to help other women achieve financial success and independence. As they describe it, they made it to their 40s with their heads planted firmly in the sand and didn’t have a clue regarding finances, until a few key conversations with friends changed the trajectories of their financial lives. And hopefully, today’s episode will help change the trajectory of yours as well.
A Tufts University Study has clarified that 66% of all COVID-19 hospitalizations are due to just four underlying medical conditions. And all of them are the result of long-term poor diet and lifestyle choices. Today I talk about those four conditions, the four things you can do to stop and start reversing them to reduce your risk.
This past year people’s stress has been off the charts, with devastating consequences: insomnia, decreased immunity, infertility, irritability, emotional eating, weight gain, and depression. Dr. Doni Wilson is a naturopathic doctor, certified professional midwife, and certified nutrition specialist believes it is possible to be healthy, even when we’re stressed. In the process of solving her own problem of suffering from migraines for 25 years, Dr. Doni developed her Stress Recovery Protocol™ which identifies how stress uniquely affects each individual and then uses epigenetics to reoptimize health. Her unique approach helps patients reverse challenging health conditions including fatigue, anxiety, autoimmunity, fertility and recurrent miscarriages, insomnia, as well as HPV infections, and abnormal pap smears.