45. Food as Medicine
If you want to feel and look your best or even prevent or even reverse chronic diseases, we have to talk about diet. Your dietary pattern—what you eat day after day, month after month, year after year—is more predictive than genetics and family history for developing chronic diseases and dying early. Even though most people understand they should eat healthier, the Standard American Diet (SAD) is rich in calories and poor in nutrition. It’s characterized by consuming high amounts of baked goods, fried foods, sodas, and packaged foods full of high-fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, food dyes, partially hydrogenated oils (trans fatty acids), preservatives, and other additives. Learn what you can do instead.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [00:54] What you eat every day is more predictive then genetics for developing chronic diseases and dying early
- [01:35] The standard American diet wreaks havoc on your health
- [03:35] Examples of why processed food lack nutrients
- [06:20] More than 66% of US adults are overweight or obese
- [07:05] What is our biochemistry
- [08:35] How the mineral magnesium helps your body function better
- [10:55] Two major classes of fatty acids you should be aware of
- [12:20] How inflammation ages you faster
- [14:59] The standard American diet is pro-inflammatory
- [15:40] How refined carbohydrates affect your biochemistry
- [17:06] The Mediterranean dietary pattern promotes health and reduces disease
- [18:05] Health benefits from following the Mediterranean dietary pattern
- [19:10] What is epigenetics
- [20:30] Examples of how food influences genetic expression
- [22:50] How the standard American diet is different from what our ancestor’s diet
- [23:39] 93% of all Americans consume less vitamin E, C, magnesium, and zinc then the standard requirement
- [26:15] Research shows that improving your diet can actually cure disease
- [27:00] How a whole foods plant-based diet can reverse heart disease
- [31:15] Following the Mediterranean dietary pattern has proven to increase bone density
- [31:48] What can you do
Resources talked about in this episode
Visit our social media for more information
With a focus on improving health while treating the disease, Dr. Nalini Chilkov’s innovative approach to cancer is redefining how doctors treat breast cancer. She’s the Creator of the OutSmart Cancer System and Founder of Integrative Cancer Answers, an online resource for patients and families whose lives have been touched by cancer. She is the author of the best-selling book 32 Ways to OutSmart Cancer: How to Create A Body Where Cancer Cannot Thrive. Dr. Chilkov is an expert in Integrative Cancer Care and Immune Enhancement with more than 35 years of clinical experience.
In this episode, Dr. Neustadt talks about the most common hidden toxins lurking in your kitchen. Some you’re bringing in from the outside by what you’re buying, and others you’re creating by how you’re cooking. Learn what these are, how they’re endangering you and your family, and how to get them out of your kitchen and life for good.
Today’s special guest isn’t on the show because of nepotism, although it doesn’t hurt that she’s my wife and mom to our two kids. She’s here because she’s a powerhouse with a lot to share about how busy working moms can kick ass and still be healthy. She’s figured out how to juggle being a wife, a mom, a professional success, and a healthy human without losing her mind. And she’s on a mission to help other women do it too. Her two books have been huge successes and she’s been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, and Success, and has appeared on Fox Business News and morning shows around the country.