07. Smartphone Addiction
In today’s episode, we’re going to talk about smartphone addiction. Let’s face it, we’re hooked, I’m hooked. I love my cellphone. I love being connected. But as great of an impact technology has had in our lives, it has its deadly side. Understand the good–and bad–effects technology is having on your health, then use simple strategies to make sure technology is helping you reach all your goals.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:41] A study showed 79% of smartphone owners check their phones 15 minutes after waking up in the morning
- [02:21] 70% more adults and kids own a cell phone or tablet
- [03:02] The downfall of technology is the addiction that comes with it
- [03:38] Studies have shown the more a person is on their phone, the more likely they are to develop depression
- [04:23] The dopamine hit we get every time we’re on our phone, conditions our brain to look for more
- [07:18] Define what you are looking for online and schedule your time
- [08:08] Why is multi-tasking terrible
- [10:30] Technology will help us avoid an uncomfortable situation instead of dealing with them
- [12:05] When we’re stressed our body releases epinephrine
- [16:54] Our phone brings havoc to our sleep
- [21:30] When you stop giving your body those dopamine hits, it starts affecting your mood
- [22:50] Ways to set limits for your screen use
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blog mentioned – Three Ways Smartphones are Ruining Your Sleep and Relationships
Visit our social media for more information
The shocking and untimely death of actor Chadwick Boseman from colon cancer at 43 years old has shone a spotlight on the importance of screening and treatment.
Coiled up in each of us is approximately 30 feet of intestines. This tube is technically outside of our bodies, and for us to be able to use the nutrients we eat our GI tract must be able to digest and absorb them.
Dr. Alschuler, ND and a Fellow by the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology (FABNO) is a Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Arizona