60. What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Osteoporosis
The most important thing you need to know about osteoporosis is what most doctors don’t talk about. The discussions around this disease too often focuses only on bone mineral density and medications. But more than half of people who start osteoporosis medications discontinue them and a bone density test predicts less than half of people who will break a bone. Learn how I talk to patients and how you can expand the conversation with your healthcare provider and put yourself in the driver’s seat when it comes to your health.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [02:10] The business model in medicine restricts the flow of information that people receive
- [03:50] If you have osteoporosis and you break a hip there’s a 20% chance you’ll be dead in a year
- [05:20] Bone mineral density predicts less than half of people who will actually break a bone
- [06:00] What factors help predict fractures
- [07:15] What is osteosarcopenia
- [07:55] A high protein diet help reduce fracture risks
- [09:40] Why combining a high protein diet and working out helps reduce fracture risks
- [10:50] Dr. Neustad’s recommendations to help reduce fracture risks
- [14:45] What is medically induced osteoporosis
- [19:58] The role serotonin plays in the bone
- [26:40] Why sleep is important for bone health
- [27:50] It’s important to ask your doctor about medications that increase fracture risks
- [29:10] If you are losing height or teeth it can be a sign of weak bones
- [31:25] Osteoporosis is a lifestyle disease
Resources talked about in this episode
- Blogs mentioned
- Products mentioned
Visit our social media for more information
With a focus on improving health while treating the disease, Dr. Nalini Chilkov’s innovative approach to cancer is redefining how doctors treat breast cancer. She’s the Creator of the OutSmart Cancer System and Founder of Integrative Cancer Answers, an online resource for patients and families whose lives have been touched by cancer. She is the author of the best-selling book 32 Ways to OutSmart Cancer: How to Create A Body Where Cancer Cannot Thrive. Dr. Chilkov is an expert in Integrative Cancer Care and Immune Enhancement with more than 35 years of clinical experience.
In this episode, Dr. Neustadt talks about the most common hidden toxins lurking in your kitchen. Some you’re bringing in from the outside by what you’re buying, and others you’re creating by how you’re cooking. Learn what these are, how they’re endangering you and your family, and how to get them out of your kitchen and life for good.
Today’s special guest isn’t on the show because of nepotism, although it doesn’t hurt that she’s my wife and mom to our two kids. She’s here because she’s a powerhouse with a lot to share about how busy working moms can kick ass and still be healthy. She’s figured out how to juggle being a wife, a mom, a professional success, and a healthy human without losing her mind. And she’s on a mission to help other women do it too. Her two books have been huge successes and she’s been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, and Success, and has appeared on Fox Business News and morning shows around the country.